Thursday, December 26, 2013

Back sooner than I expected

So, after thinking I wasn't going back to Bhutan for a while, my friend Andy Hertler turns out to be going to Thimphu for a month at JDWNRH doing oncology. How could I resist? More seriously, I had had mixed feelings about returning. As I considered what I had done there, I realized that in Bhutan as in the U.S. change comes slowly. Getting an entire hospital to use chart dividers is actually a pretty big deal. One of the docs I had spent time with, Dr. Yangchen, was posted to St. Michael's in Toronto for a year of critical care training. The docs were eager to use my little netbook with UpToDate on it. After considering it all, I did decide to go back, sans Eileen this time, for another month of working in pulmonary and critical care at JDWNRH. I will be going in March, 2014. I have obtained a grant from UpToDate to provide UTD access to JDWNRH for a year. All we need is a static IP address, which I think won't be too much trouble. What will we try and do? Install UpToDate Keep pushing on handwashing Enter orders on a separate sheet Understand palliative care Specific help with specific patients in ICU (always the core) Getting there will be a bit interesting. I'm going on frequent flier miles, so I am traveling East, not West, to Bangkok. Outbound via Heathrow, inbound via Arlanda (for the uninitiated, Stockholm) More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment