Friday, March 7, 2014

Yes, I fix things!

Those of you who know me know that I fix things. Well, I brought along my trusty multi-tool for just such an occasion. The plugs on electric fixtures here are really badly made and they are always failing, often catastrophically. Most sockets have burn marks around them.

Well, one of the heaters gave up the ghost. The plastic had melted and fused, and the plug came out--

Here's another view of the molten mess:
Went out and bought a replacement plug and back in business!




Meanwhile, back at the hospital, found this interesting sign:


I've marked my hospital shoes so that they won't get disappeared. Mind you, if they did disappear that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. These are cheap Chinese knockoffs of cheap Chinese knockoffs (crocs) of clogs:  I think they will stay in Bhutan. They hurt my feet.
I undertake a modest exercise program at home, consisting of some very lightweight weight training and walking every morning. The walking is covered, no problem there. I'm borrowing the PT department's weights for a couple of minutes every day:
We are making some progress at work. The UpToDate installation is almost complete. I also had my first contact with the interns, a group of Bhutanese docs who have just finished medical school abroad and are getting more training before being turned loose on the population. Interested,  nice, want to learn. More on that as we have more experience.

The patients remain challenging, with patients so seriously ill that many would only receive palliative care in the States. It's extremely difficult to readjust my thinking to figure out what to do for folks who are so sick that. We've had a young man who hung himself and failed, and is now effectively brain dead, but the family can't accept it. We have had a lot of liver failure and kidney failure from alcohol and hypertension respectively. I will continue to try and wrap my head around this.

Andy and I had dinner at the Bhutan Kitchen, a prix fixe meal that is a showcase of Bhutanese cooking. A little toned down and a little expensive for the tourists, but it was pleasant enough. The best part was that there was a cat running around the restaurant. It came over and pestered us, begged for some food (did we give in? of course!), and was extremely friendly.  I will need to get some good cat pictures. There is clearly a Bhutanese cat breed, very specific appearance and markings, quite handsome.


No comments:

Post a Comment